Not only is one of Europe’s most important and renowned capitals: London is a cultural center where tradition and avant-garde are combined and interspersed, history and art, music and theatre… All options come together in this city.
It is in the very nature of the city, but it is also the weakness of its citizens. 84% of Londoners believe that the city’s cultural scene is important in ensuring the quality of life in the city. (GLA/ICM research)
Do you still have doubts? Let’s give you five reasons to consider London as one of the world’s cultural capitals. Let’s start!
- Ten of the best museums and galleries in the world and three are in London: the British Museum, the Tate Modern and the National Gallery. The city has over 850 galleries!
- In London, you will find over 170 museums, 11 of which are national museums such as the British Museum. There you will find samples of over two thousand years of culture including the Rosetta stone (196 BC)
- The city has four UNESCO World Heritage Sites: the Tower of London, the Palace of Westminster, the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew and Maritime Greenwich, which is the birthplace of Greenwich Mean Time.
- Throughout the year there are more than 17,000 musical performances at over 300 venues in London, including the O2 arena (one of the most renowned in the world!)
- The city hosts over 250 festivals throughout the year, including Europe’s largest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival. Over a million people attend each year!
At Time4London we offer our students cultural trips to museums, galleries, theatres… In this way, we encourage them to discover the city through these experiences, while meeting other students and making friends. Are you interested? Find out more about our school!